- The National Veterinary Institute has been certified with ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System (QMS) by Alcumus ISOQAR, an internationally-accredited company in compliance with the requirements of ISO9001:2008 for development, manufacturing, sales and distribution of veterinary vaccines as its primary mandate.
- The diagnostic and research laboratory of the institute has been accredited to ISO/IEC 17025:2005 for five different types of tests (C-ELISA for CCPP and CBPP, 3ABC ELISA for FMD, RBPT for Brucella, and ELISA for PPR) by the Ethiopian National Accreditation Office (ENAO).
- The institute is certified with cGMP in compliance with the Ethiopian cGMP standards by the Ethiopian veterinary drugs and animal feed administration and control authority.
- Gold medal award from the ministry of science and technology in recognition for the best achievement in research and vaccine production during the 7 th Science , Technology & Innovation award held on 19 November 2016 , Addiss Ababa .
- For the last 53 years NVI actively takes part in identification of animal health related constraints and look for solution by developing and promoting research based products to improve livestock production and at the same time encourages animal welfare.
- The infrastructure of NVI is well developed and playing an important role in the attraction of international institution, the Pan African Veterinary Vaccine Control Center (PANVAC) which is under the African union. Moreover, it has been given the responsibility to produce and supply sufficient vaccines for PTA (Preferential Trade Area) countries of Eastern, Western and Southern Africa. The institute has reached the level of using state of the art equipment’s and materials for biological production and vaccine related research.
Highlights of some improvements gained by certification to ISO 9001:2008 and GMP are:
- The QMS Certification endorsed our company to penetrate international markets particularly in Africa and our export market projected up to 35% of our sales.
- Continuous Improvement in efficiency and effectiveness of vaccine production and new vaccines development through field research and customer feedbacks.
- Enhance customer satisfaction level which reaches to 94.53% in the current physical year, 2016.
- Progress towards the implementation of ISO 14001 Environmental Management Systems (EMS) for the production of environmentally friendly products based on the positive experience realized from ISO 9001 quality management system.
- The National Veterinary Institute (NVI) is the sole institute in the country working on the development and production of veterinary vaccines, diluents and diagnostic kits for the last 53 years.